Gail's Nest · Refashion

Refashion Challenge – The Before (Gail)

Two Nests One Tree

Lydia and I are doing a mother/ daughter refashion challenge. If you have been following us you know that I sent her 2 thrifted items (total cost: $10), that she received in the mail and it’s up to her to create something new for herself out of them.

Then Lyddie gave me 2 thrifted items and I was to do the same. Here are the items she sent me:

DSC00519DSC00520DSC00521DSC00523

Yeah. Thanks, Lyd! The burnt orange pants are huge, the sun dress is not my style and shows a little too much skin for my comfort zone. But the colors match and I think my creative juices are flowing!  Stay tuned for the reveal! Coming up later this week!

Lydia's Nest · Refashion

Refashion Challenge: The Before (Lydia)

It’s here! I got the package from my mom containing the thrift store items she picked out for me to refashion/ (Confused? Check out this post for an overview of what’s happening!) wanna see?

So these are the items i get to change. I haven’t done anything yet besides try them on.


There are two maxi dresses. They are both strapless. The animal print one is a light peachy nude color, made with chiffon fabric and an elastic waistband. The blue one is cotton and has a stretchy, smocked top. Here’s what they look like on (I kept a comisole on underneath so thats what the straps are).





I like that this dress has a nice drape.  The fabric is light and flowy, whic will be fun to work with! The top part is unlined, so that will need to change. 


This dress has a nice feel- the cotton fabric is very soft. Also, I love the print! You cant see in the pictures, but its a little short. 

I haven’t totally decided what I want to do with these yet. If you have any ideas, let me know!

Love,

Lydia

Lydia's Nest · Refashion

Quick Fix: Too-Tight Blouse

Hey guys!

Can you believe it’s March already? I feel like we barely had a winter!

I’ve been working on a few quick and easy projects that I’m excited to show you. Sometimes its hard to actually sew a big project when you have a wee one in the house, so these easy, hour-long (if that!) projects help me get my sewing fix in.

I’ve had this flannel for a while, and I love it. Its super cute, with the fun trim along the front. The problem is, its too tight for me across the chest – when it is buttoned, I can’t lift my arms and I get a bad “button gap”. The dressform is adjusted to my measurements, to give you an idea:

See how it pulls across the shoulders in the back? Not comfortable!

So I decided that I needed to fix this, by adding a panel of lace to the back. Here’s how:

First I measured how long the shirt was, from the bottom of the collar to the hem. Then, I cut up the center back, leaving the collar intact.

Then, I took an old lace curtain I had laying around, and cut out a triangle with the bottom edge along the finished hem of the curtain, and the other two sides the length of the back measurement I took. (sorry I forgot to take pics of that!). I used the finished hem of the curtain in order to save a step, and because it was pretty, haha. If you don’t use pre-finished fabric, then add 1″ to the length measurement and hem the insert piece before the next step.

Also, you’ll notice that the hem of the lace curves slightly. That’s because the center back is now shorter than the sides of the piece I added (#geometry). This doesn’t bother me, but if you want it to hang straight, you will need to draft a curve into the bottom edge, and then hem it.

Then, I sewed it in, first right sides together and then topstiched so the raw edges would stay under the flannel portion and not show under the lace.

And that was all! Easy peasy, and now I have a cute flannel I can actually button!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Lydia

Gail's Nest · Refashion

From Dumpy to Delightful – refashioning a sweater

I picked up this sweater at Goodwill for $3. The color was fun, it was comfy, but I thought it made me look like a grandma (Oh wait… I am a grandma… hmmm… I LOVE BEING A GRANDMA!! But do I have to look like one??)

Refashion a Sweater
Refashion a Sweater

So I did a little refashion…

I folded the collar inward, added lace and snaps and now it looks a little better:

dsc00201

closeupsweater

croppedBlessings!– Gail Felker

Gail's Nest · Refashion

From a Maxi Dress to a Jumpsuit

The runways are all about jumpsuits now. They take a casual look and ramp it up to something appropriate for an evening out. Why not take a mediocre-looking maxi, either hanging in your closet, or do what I did and spend $1.80 for one at a thrift store, and turn it into a jumpsuit? Here is how I did it…

dsc00162

This is my “BEFORE” pic. I found it at a little thrift store in Skaneatlas, NY. It happened to be on sale… not bad… a sale at a thrift store! It cost $1.80. As you can see it is big on me.

maxi

The first thing I did was turn it inside out and put it on my dressform. Then I could take in at the side seams and the darts on the front and back so it would fit a little more snuggly.

dsc00164

Next, I marked a dot about 4 inches from my crotch and then cut it straight up from the hem to the dot.

dsc00165

Then it was simply a matter of sewing the pant legs together.

dsc00166

That’s it! Here are a couple of AFTER pics:

jumpsuit2

jumpsuit1

Sewing refashion maxi dress jumpsuit
Refashion-Maxi-Dress-Jumpsuit

 

 

Blessings!